Monday, August 11, 2008

Catching my breath...

finally. Things are calming down. Seems that maybe we are getting around to a bit more stability and a little less chaos. So, where to begin. Well, back at the first week of July, my DH's nephew-the same one that I took care of as a baby when I first met my husband-who is now 16, had some serious reconstructive surgery to correct an injury from when he was younger. We were asked to work at the family marina while he was in the ICU for 7 days and while my SIL was home taking care of him. So we were very busy at the marina for two weeks and as soon as she could get back to work, I received a horrible phone call from my SIL. Her oldest son, 32, had hung himself and committed suicide. SO SO sad. It sent us all just in a spin that has taken a while to get straight from.
The same week, as they tried to get arrangements made and things sorted out with his death (we were working back at the marina just to help any way we could so that their family could be together), our nephew who had the surgery had some serious complications and set backs from his original surgery. He was rushed back to Tampa and is doing okay now, but is now going to have to have some more surgery. They feel that the stress and shock of his brother's death played a big role in the complications.
So, we have just been helping where we are needed. There has been some family bickering amongst a few of my in-laws which I'm sure has a lot to do with the stress. Just a shame that everyone can't come together at such a hard time.
We decided to cancel our vacation to the Keys. So many factors played into that decision, but I feel it was the right one. We did take Ross to Sea World and Busch Gardens this past week. We felt that it was unfair to him that we were unable to spend as much time as we would have liked with him over the summer. It has been hard on everyone. But we had a fantastic time and it was worth the five days away from home and stress. We are all refreshed and ready for school to start and Sylvester will be back to work next week.
I am so not good with chaos. I love my routine and stability. But I will soon have more time to myself and back where I need to be. I plan to start work after Ross gets settled into school. I am so looking forward to going back to work. Love working with the public. I'll fill ya in more on that later. This post is plenty long enough.
I'll post some photos of our vacation on my next post. I plan to be able to start posting regulary now that I can breathe some. Then again, life takes things where it wants and I'm hoping it's not back down the road of chaos!!

5 comments:

Lulu's Scraps said...

Oh Dear!!!
I feel for you on the loss of your newphew.... my nephew did that same thing two years ago and I know your pain ... May God continue to be with you and your family Brooke!
I am SO glad your family got to refresh too!
Having stability and a routine is so important ...i know!
So I am happy to hear that you are getting back to the swing of thing on the homefront!!!
My thoughts and prayers continue for you and your family!!
Do continue to take care Brooke!!
Much Luv n' *hugs*

Lillian

Murphy's Law said...

you know my thoughts and prayers are always with you. so glad to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, so so so sorry to hear about your nephew. What an awful shock. And you're right - why can't things like that bring families closer? Glad you had some of your own family time though. You gotta do that no matter how guilty you feel for leaving the other stuff for a while otherwise it'll start infecting your family. My prayers and thoughts are with you my dear friend. I wish I lived closer to take you out for shots of tequila or something...*wink* or at the very least - give you big big hugs....hugs are more WW friendly anyway! LOL - luv ya to bits -

Kataroo said...

Yikes, you have had a great deal to work thru...I lost a dear freind to Suicidewhen I was young....her name was Regan...I babysat her when she was young, and I counseled her as a peer in her adolescence when she was struggling with bulimia....I hink it was the bulimia that led to the suicide...it was horrible...I can't imagine loosing a family member...plus all the other stuff going on in your life...Just ask the BIG GUy (god) for help....he'll help you and all your BG girls :) Sending you blogger love :) Katie .

Renee Lamb said...

hey my dear...when you get a chance...I gave you an award for your blog. I hope you are doing well my sweet friend - you're in my thoughts! xoxoxo